Decision Support Systems Glossary
by D. J. Power
- Ad-Hoc Query
- Any spontaneous or unplanned question or query. An ad-hoc query often consists of dynamically constructed SQL that is constructed by desktop-resident or Web-based query tools.
- Ad-Hoc Query Tool
- An end-user tool that accepts an English-like or point-and-click request for data and constructs an ad-hoc query to retrieve the desired data from a database.
- Self-contained processes that run in the background on a client or server and that perform useful functions for a specific user/owner. Agents may monitor exceptions based on criteria or execute automated tasks. For example once an event occurs a daemon performs a pre-defined action and then it returns to a monitoring state. See daemon.
- Aggregated Data
- Data that is results from applying a process to combine data elements. These terms refer to data that is summarized.
- A notification from an event that a trigger has exceeded a pre-defined threshold.
- Analytical Hierarchy Process
- An approach to decision making that involves structuring multiple choice criteria into a hierarchy, assessing the relative importance of these criteria, comparing alternatives for each criterion, and determining an overall ranking of the alternatives.