Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
April 15, 2018 Vol. 19, No. 08
1) What is evidence?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
by Daniel J. Power
Evidence is an abstract idea that plays a significant role in human thinking and decision making. The word evidence becomes more concrete when it names and categorizes a collection of facts and information that is used to determine if a statement of belief or a proposition is correct, true or valid. Evidence is collected, gathered, organized, and summarized in decision processes to persuade a person or group of a conclusion. One may have heard the overused expression "let the evidence speak for itself." This metaphorical cliche neglects the role people play in assembling and presenting evidence. The decision process itself can distort the evidence.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
04/13/2018 Call for papers: DSI 2018 Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL. Check release.
04/12/2018 Chicago CIO Summit: Path to competing in the digital age. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. ICDSST – PROMETHEE DAYS 2018, 4th International Conference on Decision Support System Technology – ICDSST 2018, 22 – 25 May 2018 – Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, Heraklion, Crete, Greece. Check here.
2. 2018 Open Conference of IFIP WG 8.3 on Decision Support Systems, June 13, 2018 - June 15, 2018, Ljubljana, Slovenia. Check here.
3. ECIS 2018 Conference, June 23rd -28th, 2018, Portsmouth, UK. Check http://ecis2018.eu/.
4. Call for papers: DSI 2018 Annual Meeting November 17 - 19, 2018 in Chicago, IL. Check http://dssresources.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&id=415.
5. Call for Papers: Special issue Journal of Decision Systems on Cognitive Bias, Decision Styles and Risk Attitudes. Check release.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to email@example.com
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2018 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.