Decision Support News
D. J. Power, Editor
September 1, 2019 Vol. 20, No. 18
1) What is logical decision-making?
2) Recent Decision Support News Headlines
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences/Call for Papers
1) What is logical decision-making?
by Daniel J. Power
Many adjectives are used to modify the compound word decision making or decision-making. For example, creative, ethical, intuitive, and rational modify decision-making. Another modifier is logic or logical. Logical decision-making or using logic in decision-making is regarded as an important skill for many professions. In these professions, experts and specialists apply their knowledge in a given area using logic in decision processes to make informed decisions. For example, medical decision-makers often arrive at a diagnosis and then select an appropriate treatment. The phrase logical decision-making refers to a systematic reasoning process that results in decisions that make sense given the available facts.
Continue reading this column at
Click for more Frequently Asked Questions
2) Recent Decision Support Headlines
08/29/2019 Royal Care Connect selects Qualtrics to simplify and improve patient experience. Check release.
08/28/2019 AI-powered conversational analytics platform, Scoop to help brands glean unique insights from all customer conversations. Check release.
3) Upcoming Decision Support Conferences
1. 2019 Decision Sciences Institute Annual Conference New Orleans, LA, November 23 - 25, 2019. Check release.
2. Call for Papers: IFIP WG8.3 Decision Support 2020 in Wroclaw, Poland. Check release.
3. KDD 2020 will convene in San Diego, California Aug. 22-27, 2020. Check release.
4. Call for articles Journal of Business Analytics, an official journal of the Operational Research Society. The journal serves the emerging and rapidly growing community of business analytics both in academia and industry. Check https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/tjba20/current.
Order Daniel Power and Ciara Heavin's book: Decision Support, Analytics, and Business Intelligence, Third Edition, Click here
Become a Business Expert Press author
New book: Power, D. and C. Heavin, Data-Based Decision Making And Digital Transformation, Business Expert Press, 2018 at URL Click here. EBook Price $19.95, Print Price $34.95, In Stock June 10, 2018.
Power & Heavin (2018) argue "Digital disruption is accelerating. Implementing a successful digital transformation strategy requires that senior managers make trade-off decisions to reinvent a business. Equally important all decision makers must learn to ask the right questions, use data and computer support in decision making, and increase their knowledge and skills. Creating a data-centric culture and rewarding data-based decision making leads to successful digital transformation."
You may leave the DSS News mailing list by sending an email to
Please tell your friends they may join the list by sending
an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Decision Support News |
Decision Support News is copyrighted (c) 2019 by D. J. Power.
Please send your questions to email@example.com.
Connect with Daniel J. Power at http://www.linkedin.com/in/danpower
The DSS News mailing list is hosted by the University of Northern Iowa in the spirit of cooperation with the network community. The opinions
expressed by contributors do not necessarily reflect those of the
University or its employees. The University shall not be liable for
any damages which may result directly or indirectly from errors
or omissions in or application of information distributed via
this group. Thanks to University of Northern Iowa.
Thanks for supporting Decision Support News (aka DSS News) and DSSResources.com.